Hercules/Ciba Geigy Plant

The former Ciba Geigy Main Plant was located to the east of Glens Falls within the Town of Queensbury, New York on a 45-acre site. Starting in 1901, the facility was used by the American Wallpaper Company, Imperial Color Works, and Underwood Paper Mills for manufacturing wallpaper and later expanding to producing inorganic pigments. Throughout […]

Read More

Finch Pruyn Papermill

Finch Paper, formerly Finch Pruyn Paper was founded by Jeremiah and Daniel Finch, together with Samuel Pruyn in 1865 in Glen Falls, New York. Between 1900 and 1910, a groundwood pulp mill, using spruce and balsam, was built. In the 1920’s the company shifted its focus to manufacturing newsprint and hanging paper used for wallpaper. […]

Read More

Chicago Pneumatic

Chicago Pneumatic was founded in 1901 as a manufacturer of various tools. These tools include generators, air compressors, power tools, light towers and hydraulic equipment. Chicago Pneumatic was founded by John W. Duntley who originally intended to make and sell construction tools “that weren’t available yet.”  In 1901, Chicago Pneumatic patented the first single-valve pneumatic […]

Read More

Burrows Paper Corporation

Burrows Paper Corporation started its manufacturing in 1919, when Andrew Burrows purchased the first paper mill in Little Falls, New York. A generation later, under Ralph Burrows, the company expanded by purchasing three additional mills. Years later Bill Burrows led the company into another expansion entering into the use of lightweight packaging.  In 2016 Burrows […]

Read More

Beech-Nut

Beech-Nut Packing Company was founded in 1891 and is located in Canajoharie, New York in the Mohawk Valley. Beech-Nut was first named Imperial Packing Company. It became a major producer of baby food. Raymond P. Lipe, along with his friend John D. Zieley and their brothers, Walter H. Lipe and David Zieley, and Bartlett Arkell, […]

Read More

St. Joseph’s Hospital, Syracuse

St. Joseph’s Hospital was founded in 1869 by the Sisters of Saint Joseph. Located on Prospect Avenue in Syracuse, New York, the hospital was originally a fifteen-bed facility housed in a converted saloon. As Syracuse’s population grew, St. Joseph’s Hospital underwent a series of expansions and renovations. The hospital currently has a 431-bed capacity, and […]

Read More

SUNY Oswego

When the State University of New York College at Oswego (SUNY Oswego) was founded in 1861, it was known as the Oswego Primary Teachers Training School. In its early years, the school was located in the City of Oswego. In 1913, the college relocated to its current location on the shores of Lake Ontario. Today, […]

Read More

Sealright Company

The Sealright Company, was founded in 1883, by Forrest Weeks as the Oswego Falls pulp and paper company. When Sealright was in operation, it was the largest manufacturer of frozen dairy dessert packaging in North America, which incorporated flexographic printing techniques in the manufacturing process of its packaging materials. Sealright maintained manufacturing facilities in Fulton, […]

Read More

Hickling Power Station

In 1948, New York State Electric & Gas (NYSEG) constructed the Hickling Power Station. The power station was constructed during a period of rapid expansion for NYSEG, which doubled the company’s electrical output capacity. Located in Corning, New York, Hickling Station was named for former NYSEG vice president William G. Hickling. The power generation equipment […]

Read More

Steam Generating Station – Oswego

Niagara Mohawk’s Oswego Steam Generating Station is located on the shore of Lake Ontario in the City of Oswego, New York. The Oswego Steam Station contains four fossil fuel steam electric generating units that were constructed between 1938 and 1956. Initially, the steam electric generating units were powered by coal, but in 1972, the units […]

Read More

Milliken Power Station

The Milliken Power Station was a coal-fired power plant located on Cayuga Lake in the town of Lansing, New York. The station, operated by New York State Electric and Gas (NYSEG), was built in the mid-1950’s and was responsible for supplying electricity to a significant portion of Central New York. In 1999, the station was […]

Read More

Greenidge (Dresden) Power Plant

The Greenidge Power Plant in Dresden, New York, was built in 1937 by the New York State Electric and Gas Corporation (NYSEG). Since 1999, the plant has been owned and operated by AES Corporation. At one time, the Greenidge Power consisted of six coal-fired boilers, which provided steam to power four turbine generators. The plant […]

Read More

Jennison Generating Station

In 1945, the Jennison Generating Station was constructed in Bainbridge, New York, by New York State Electric & Gas (NYSEG), and it was named for a former NYSEG president, Ralph D. Jennison. Originally, Jennison Station was capable of producing 30 kilowatts of electrical power. Upgrades during the 1950’s and 1960’s increased the plant’s output to […]

Read More

Goudey Power Station

The Goudey Power Station in Johnson City, New York, was constructed in 1917 by the New York State Electric and Gas Corporation (NYSEG) as the Westover Power Station. Following an expansion to the facility in 1950, the plant was renamed for former NYSEG Vice President William B. Goudey. During its operation, the Goudey Power Station […]

Read More

Nestle

In 1900, Nestlé founded its plant in Fulton, New York, which was also the first Nestlé plant to open in the United States. The Fulton plant initially produced Nestlé milk foods, but in 1909, the company expanded its operations and chocolate production began. In 1935, researchers at the Fulton plant developed the first cocoa mix, […]

Read More